Monday, February 12, 2007

Sunday Golf

This is another sport I love to play. I started playing golf in College back in 1975. I actually wanted to take kayaking for a PE class and they were full. My fiance at that time told me that I should try golf. Now, golf is for the older guys not the young ones like myself who played Fastpitch softball and could beat out an infield hit. Well, I needed a PE and so I decided to go ahead and sign up. It didn't take long for me to get addicted to the game. Could you conquer the game and learn everything you needed to know and become a scratch golfer? I soon learned that it was a game that would take years and you will always learn something every time you go out to play. Now, doesn't this sound like another game I love to play? I don't have to tell you what it is.

This year I purchased a card that would deduct 50% off of the price everytime I played. When the price of golf is $40 for a round of golf that is a good deal. For years I have always played by myself and I started playing less and less golf. A friend and her husband now play almost on a weekly basis and they don't mind having someone tag along and play. It is fun to play with other people and just walk the course. Today was the first game of the year and it was nice out, not too cold and at least the wind wasn't blowing. The first hole I was reintroduced to the sand trap and I had a little trouble getting out. I usually do well with the sand traps since the early days of always hitting the traps and having to learn to get out of them. Hole number 3 and I was in it again. Hole number 4 I was in the trap and it took me 6 swings to get out. I think I got to know every sand bunker on that course today.

My putting is the part of my game that I do well in. I seem to be able to read the greens and putt well. In my early years I practiced putting a lot and I think that has always helped me. I purchased a new driver this past year before the end of the season and now I am learning to use the club. I started to drive well the last few holes when I finally realized I was setting the ball up too far back in my stance. Once I moved the ball forward the slice started to go away. I was able to pronate the wrists coming through the ball. If I could ever learn how to transfer the weight forward I could get more distance. See how this game makes you want to play more and learn. Sounds like another game I like to play. Ok, for the first round of the year and all the sand play I shot a 110. I played 36 strokes putting for an average of 2 strokes once I was on the green. If I could get rid of some of the strokes out on the fairway getting to that elusive 150 yard marker I would do great.

It doesn't look like I will be able to play poker this wednesday night. There are business people in town and they want to take some of us to dinner. Maybe I will play another night. Maybe even play in the afternoon game if I get off work early. We will have to wait and see.

Have fun and keep the cards going.

No comments: