Wednesday, March 02, 2011

My Birthday

Today is my Birthday. I am 55 years old now. How do I feel and the big question for me is what have I accomplished in my life. Every year I think about that question and I just keep right on going past thinking about what I have done. I have long gone past the time where I would consider having a midlife crisis. If you can call it that.

I still have some things that I want to accomplish. I don't want to call it a bucketlist but they are things that I want to do and see in this great land of ours.

While in High School I spent some time working with my Dad in a Service Station and that was fun for me. After College I was able to again work with my Dad as a Sales Rep for a company that we were both employed by. I learned my Dad's work ethic and to give the job the time it deserved. I am not saying it was right but that is what I learned.

After attending College for a second time I then spent 20 years in the field of Respiratory Care and since the Medical Field was something I did not want to do, since I did very poorly in Sciences, it was amazing how much I loved the job. I learned to work with the Neonates and go on Transports and work closely with a physician that taught me quite a bit about how they start their little life. Working with individuals to help them in their final days breathing in life. It was a way for me to help others. I even got the opportunity to work with a Medical Research team and was able to give a talk at a National Convention on the findings of the team working with Neonates. It was all fun.

My last seven and a half years was working in the computer field. I enjoy working with computers and the problems people have and solving those issues. It was a short time in this field but there were people that thought I wouldn't last one year. I lasted over seven and was proud of that for myself.

My life right now is still in a learning phase. There are new things I want to experience. I enjoy the stock market and all of the issues of making it work out. Learning the technical aspect of charts and what is going to happen with the company I am looking at. Trying to earn an income from my ability to work alone and depend on myself bringing an income to our house.

I have also embraced a game that I find very rewarding. The game is called Poker. This is very much a game that requires attention to detail and watching others play their game. Since I am a people watching person I find it interesting in how people play and the reactions to what happens at the table.

I like to emulate what I learn. I watch, I see and then I do. I do that in anything I get myself involved with. You show me, I repeat. I watch someone in the stock market and I do the same thing. I watch someone play I do the same thing. I follow people that know what they are doing. I guess you could call them professionals at what they do. I am always learning and will be doing that for the rest of my life.

So, what does 55 mean to me? I am a retired person now at this point and I have not given up on learning. I have life experiences to draw upon and a wonderful wife who loves me for who I am. I have children that I love and have grandchildren that I enjoy seeing grow up. I want to be able to travel around the country at some point. I do think I have to give up the dream of riding cross country on a motorcycle though. Not sure my body would allow that one. I guess I can safely say I am still having fun.

Have a fun day......

No comments: